Wednesday, May 23, 2007
DVD REVIEW Mastering Portrait Drawing, vol.1 M. bRITTON

I've got the CD today. I ordered it from Michael Britton who is a great instructor. I've never done it this way before so for me it was very different. "I will teach to to draw like a master!" He promises.
Striking the arabesque means striking the outlines first and then, "feeling your way" towards all other facial features which is pretty linear approach to painting. If you're a scientist who also happens to be an artist, this is a great method! Once the features are identified within a "facial map", the rest is just falling into place. Michael talks about how everyone has problems, including him. My face here turned out too wide.(which is easy to correct) One eye was placed slightly lower than the other one. What can I say? Science was not kind to me. It felt strange to " guess the arabesque " -- don't we all start with an oval?.The ears should be held off until the face is completed. Michael likes to be very precise with his guessings: "Everything must be just perfect". One thing I respectfully disagree with, is his claim, that eyes and mouth are not as big as they seem. They might not be big, but I didn't like his look on the model...the model was beautiful, but on the picture she looks like she's trying to stay awake. It's not a crime to draw eyes just a little wider. Anyways, my tutorial (which I had to complete in one breath)was done on a Watercolor paper, which was not designed for Charcoal but worked beautifully for this drawing. Notes: Michael's method didn't grow on me. It got rejected like a foreign tissue after operation. My perception is spatially different from his, it is less about the line, more about the form. I draw a face as a 3 dimensional object, drawing in masses. My method is more intuitive and less scientific...after all, I draw with my heart!

Labels: ,

posted by Angel @ 2:18 AM  
Comments:
  • At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Angel said…

    Wow, thanks for the comment, Anonymous! I definitely agree with you that I grew as an artist, and hope to continue to grow. Best to you in the New Year! :) I hope it brings you more inspiration!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Categories
Recent Posts
Archives
My Favorite Artists:
My Favorite Blogs:
Artist Resource Websites:
 
 
Artist Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory